Business Member of the Month
350 SE Fairmont Rd
Community Action Center: Empowering People & Communities throughout Whitman County to Reach their Full Potential
Folks in Whitman County working below a living wage or on a fixed income deserve a stable home base, which is critical to an ability to thrive. A stable home starts with basic needs: safe housing and food. Community Action Center works to help everyone access what they need to reach their full potential.
Community Action Center programs help people live in affordable housing, transition out of homelessness, pay utilities bills, and eat nutritious food. Our programs include:
- Community Food. This program includes our Community Food Bank for all residents who need food, and food and nutrition-related policy, systems, and environment work.
- Housing Solutions assists families threatened with or experiencing homelessness. These families are stably housed through case management and transitional housing.
- Affordable Housing. CAC owns and manages long-term affordable housing units for people with low incomes, those transitioning out of homelessness, and people with disabilities including developmental disabilities. We also operate the county’s Section 8 program. Section 8 housing choice vouchers help make housing affordable by paying for a portion of rent for a family each month.
- Weatherization and home repair loans for rural homeowners, to make homes safer, healthier, and more energy efficient, and to reduce environmental allergens and unhealthy substances in the home.
- Energy and Heating Assistance prevents shut-off of power and helps pay utilities, so money saved on energy bills can help families pay for food, medicine, or rent.